I wrote a post on margin recently, and as it often does, the universe laughed. The first half of July has been fast and furious and full. Hot days, crowded calendars, so many things jockeying for space in my brain. It has not been particularly restful. But there’s still lots of good stuff happening, and I want to note the details of how life looks right now.
Right now, in the thick of a hot, busy summer, I am:
- waking up to the buzz of the window a/c unit and the piano music from Pride and Prejudice.
- drinking my two favorite summer teas in my favorite mug: blackberry sage and ginger peach.
- making scones when I can stand to turn on the oven, and eating granola and Greek yogurt for breakfast when I can’t.
- wearing skirts, sandals and all the work-appropriate short-sleeved tops I own.
- living in shorts and bare feet at night and on the weekends.
- lugging a box of veggies home every Wednesday (we’re doing a CSA share) and then trying to figure out how to use them all.
- getting excited for the Rio Olympics.
- eating tamales from the farmers’ market on Tuesdays.
- tending basil and geraniums on my front porch.
- dropping by Darwin’s a couple of times a day: for tea in the morning, a sandwich and chitchat at lunchtime, and sometimes lemonade and a cookie (and more chitchat) mid-afternoon.
- reading allllll the books (as usual). Recent favorites include Lady Cop Makes Trouble, Everyone Brave is Forgiven, The Atomic Weight of Love and Jane Steele.
- aching over the news reports from so many places riddled with tragedy.
- treading water at work as I adjust to new routines and responsibilities.
- relishing the familiar faces and witty banter of my colleagues.
- snapping photos for the #FlowerReport when I’m out and about. This bed of lavender is growing outside our town library.
- texting my sister and a couple of friends about the madness and the fun of daily life.
- listening to Hamilton on repeat, learning all the words, and priding myself on being able to rap (almost) as fast as Lafayette.
- hunting for a new apartment (we have to move next month for reasons beyond our control).
- savoring the last few weeks in the apartment we have lived in and loved for six years.
- sipping a lot of lemonade and the occasional glass of rosé.
- flipping back through Julia Cameron’s The Sound of Paper: such wise words on writing and life.
- sneaking in a beach day here and there.
- trying (always trying) to pay attention to my life and the people I love.
What does life look like for you right now?