I love the “around here” posts that pop up periodically throughout the blogosphere. It’s always a true pleasure to get a glimpse into others’ everyday lives, and I like looking back at my own (sporadic) posts of this type – they are wonderful snapshots of certain moments in my life.
Life is full and busy and rich (and sometimes stressful) these days, and I want to remember how it feels, in all its particularity. Right now – as of late November 2014 – I am:
- drinking David’s pumpkin chai almost every morning, and breaking out the Yorkshire tea (with milk and sugar) when the temps dip below 30.
- waking up to the Pride and Prejudice soundtrack and the hubs curled up next to me.
- wearing dresses, tights and boots to work, jeans and sweaters on the weekends (with my beloved jade green coat).
- breaking out the handknit hats and fingerless gloves.
- eating lunch with the hubs almost every Friday when he comes to Harvard Square.
- listening to the Wailin’ Jennys, Kate Rusby, a set of jazz compilation CDs I bought in London more than a decade ago, and Sarah MacLachlan’s Wintersong album.
- getting ready to break out the Christmas music.
- plugging away at my NaNoWriMo mystery novel (47K words and counting – so close!).
- reading a wickedly funny publishing whodunit (out in Feb.) and rereading The Lost Art of Keeping Secrets (again).
- looking at photos of my 11-day-old nephew, Harrison, and hoping he and my sister (who have both been fighting infections) get to go home from the hospital soon.
- wishing I could be in Texas to sit with my sister and hug my parents. Living far away is hard sometimes.
- burning a Leaves candle in the evenings.
- starting my dozenth (at least) reread of Watch for the Light as Advent begins.
- preparing for Turkeypalooza, our annual Thanksgiving potluck with friends, which means I am
- buying sweet potatoes, pecans, evaporated milk and frozen rolls.
- continuing my Christmas shopping (I like to start early).
- cooking a lot of solo dinners (soup, pasta, fried eggs) and saving leftovers for the hubs when he gets home from work.
- snapping photos of the autumn leaves and light in Harvard Square.
- anticipating our annual Christmas trip to Texas even more eagerly than usual.
- knitting baby sweaters for Harrison and others.
- loving the glimpses of others’ lives I see on Instagram.
- delighting in the weekly email exchanges with the ladies of Great New Books.
- sipping a lot of chai lattes from Darwin’s, and the occasional peppermint hot chocolate from Starbucks, in a red cup.
- snuggling down under the electric blanket and the quilts from our grandmothers in the evenings.
- slathering on the hand lotion as the air gets colder and drier.
- browsing the Harvard Book Store on my lunch breaks.
- savoring apples from the farmers’ market before it closes for the season.
What are you up to right now?