A couple of weeks ago, I wrote about some of the things that are saving my life this winter: blue sky, tulips for my desk, my light box, coffee dates with friends. Three days later, Anne wrote her own post about a quirky winter lifesaver – and promised to share her whole list today of what’s getting her through this season.
In the wake of a massive blizzard (and staring down the barrel of another one), I figured another positive post couldn’t hurt. So I’m joining in. Here are the little things that are saving my life lately:
- The cobalt blue (now slightly chipped) mug that dates from my days as a barista at the Ground Floor. I’ve been drinking Earl Grey out of it every morning, and it makes me so happy.
- The stainless-steel half teaspoon I use to scoop the loose tea. Three scoops is the perfect amount, and it’s just the right tool for the job.
- My snow boots, which I am wearing every single day. (Sigh. But they’re warm.)
- Glimpses of whimsy, like the plaid bike-seat cover above. (Makes me think of summer picnics.)
- The adventures of Mrs. Tim (I’m on book 2). She is a charming companion.
- My weekly trips to the Harvard Art Museums, about which more soon.
- Fresh scones made from Molly’s recipe, with butter.
- The zigzag silver ring I bought in Abilene over Christmas.
- Lemon cuticle salve, vanilla hand lotion and coconut foot cream. (I smell like a bakery.)
- Texts from a coworker and friend whose snarky sense of humor cracks me up.
- Coffee with a new friend last week.
- Instagram. I love it more all the time.
- Cardigans whose sleeves come down over my hands.
- Photos of my sweet nephews, with texts from my sister.
- Taylor Swift’s Speak Now album, which I’ve been blasting when I need a little pep.
- Norah Jones and the Wailin’ Jennys, for mellower moods.
- The Yoga Studio app, which I downloaded after reading about it on Ali’s blog.
- A few pages of The Long Winter every morning over breakfast.
- Writing by hand in my current journal.
What’s saving your life these days? (And when will it be spring?)